Sunday, January 18, 2009

An Awesome Weekend

We've been busy in New Haven this week with a ton going on. John and I were working on our first show together since 2006 when we came to New Haven (he as TD & I was in the cast). Rehearsals and work, and classes started in John's last semester of grad school.

The best part? Friday, we received a letter from USITT and John has been chosen as the 2009 honoree for the Frederick A. Buerki Golden Hammer Scenic Technology Award!!

What is it you ask? Well, here's some info from USITT's website:



This prize is awarded to a young designer or technician who has demonstrated excellence or outstanding potential as a scenic technician in areas such as stage engineering, shop management, scene painting, scenery or properties construction, and craft while pursuing a graduate degree. It was established in 1998 by Bernhard R. Works to honor the professional theatrical career of Frederick A. Buerki as a tribute to his enthusiasm and craftsmanship.


So...it's a big deal. There was much happy dancing and parent calling. John will be receiving the award at the 2009 conference in Cincinnati in March. Needless to say, I'm very proud and have been telling John that non-stop since Friday (and driving him a little crazy).

As for me? Well, the show I was in, Funy As Hell, was my first musical since high school - and it was a LOT of fun >:D As you'd expect from an experimental theatre piece about hell, there were a few moments that the audience found questionable; but we enjoyed playing non-the-less. Good times. And it was nice to have so many people who've known me for years that didn't know I could sing or that pre-Yale I was actually an actor get to see me in something.

Below is the video from the Yale Cabaret's site of their interview with Russ, the lead actor and co-author of the show. He goes by the stage name Satori Circus and was a great time to work with.

No comments:

Post a Comment