Monday, May 4, 2009

Bought Boxes Yesterday

The packing frenzy is off to a slow start in the McCullough household. We're a whopping 5 boxes in and it's mostly books. For our first 3 years together we moved a LOT: the longest we were in one place was 9 months during the school year and the shortest was a matter of weeks while company housing was being prepped at a theatre. So it's a little odd to have been here for 2 years and now have to un-trench ourselves.

I'm also enjoying the realization that I've been making little promises to myself about this move. I'll sort stuff and actually label all the boxes. I'll throw things away. Man - I never knew throwing stuff away could feel so GOOD! Being that we've been together since both of us lived in dorm rooms we have a lot of junk that was collected as we got our first few apartments: shelves from good will, a shoddy DVD rack we use to hold plays, a mix of chairs and other furniture hand-me-downs. Now that we'll both have jobs and we're planning on buying real big-kid furnishings they're all going to Mr. Dumpster.

My favorite so far was heaving the bookshelf. It's been broken for 3 years and the top warped from a bad plant-sitter while we were on our honeymoon. Ugly doesn't being to describe. All of its contents went into a box and it went away - and I felt a great sense of relief and accomplishment:

This is really happening. We're really going to move to New York. I'm really going to work from home and take some acting classes. John's really going to have his dream job.

I'd forgotten in our 2 years in this place and our 3 years in New Haven, that moving isn't just about taking your stuff somewhere else. It's about new beginnings and possibilities. And I am so completely ready for ours.

No comments:

Post a Comment