Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Thrown From The Nest

Venture has been launched from the safe harbor of my laptop out into the world; and along with it I have released the notion of control. There's no pulling it back now, even if I wanted to... and I don't.

I've been doing my best to let it percolate - to allow time to pass before diving into the next volume; both for the sake of my sanity and that of Jenne & Jennifer. It's been difficult. My mind wants to continue running down the paths of folly it's now being restricted from; longing for the dappled sunlight of imagination. I've tried satiating it with writing short stories. No dice.

One tactic I've been playing with is How to Host a Dungeon, a sweet game John got a few weeks ago. I'll admit, I was skeptical at first; after all, how fun could drawing the history of a dungeon be? Well, what a fool I am! After watching John play with our pal Ben a few weeks ago I made him play it with me on Saturday - and I've played twice more since. I might have the rules memorized by Friday...

Here are some sweet dungeon maps that came out of game...

Primordial Age - I rolled a scorched earth landscape and added some extra features to start with. The game was designed to be played on a standard piece of paper, but I took the liberty of enlarging it a big.

Age of Civilization - Playing two civs made it a lot more dynamic. The Dwarves and a demonic spawn moved in. The red areas show demonic worm tunnels that punched through a number of other caverns, including the dwarven, until they hit a 'FATE' cavern where the gods took vengeance on them. Finally, the dwarves dug too deep.
At the beginning of the Age of Monsters a meteor struck and molded the landscape a bit. A number of monsters moved in and dug around massing wealth. Long story short: some human miners got really powerful and took just about everyone else out.Good times.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! That is a spectacular dungeon. Thanks so much for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you like it Tony! Thanks for stopping by :D

    ReplyDelete