Wednesday, September 30, 2009

DMing for Dummies

First, to answer your obvious question: Yes, there is such a thing. No, I don't have it nor did I consult it for DMing.

From the last few posts you can gather that I DMed for the first time a few weekends ago and John's thoughts on the subject. I haven't given it much reflection; though I'm about to begin my next campaign. It's about time I paid it a little thought.

It was a LOT of fun. Honestly. I really enjoyed watching them try to work their way through my puzzles or manipulate the NPCs and chase down leads that weren't really there. It held the game up a little and also taught me a lot about thinking like my players do.

You know what else they did? Tested my ability to think on my feet. No matter how much you read about Use what your players give you! Don't negate them! it's really hard that first time not to get defensive of the hours of work you've put into your campaign the first time it happens.

"Amanda, why is Gnell going to Nenlast?"
"To visit his uncle Gniven who runs the inn."

Internal monologue: But I've already made someone who runs the inn. His name is Will and he's going to tell you all about why you should help them. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit.

This is luckly the moment when the years of hearing "Yes, And" from my improv coach at No Laugh Track Required kicked in and I said "Great!" and decided that Will ran the pub instead. No problem! This trend continued as they decided to try and be sneaky with the locals and then talk to/berate/insult the head of the local "militia" (which is really just a bunch of farmers). When John's character Brevan nearly had a screaming match with this NPC, it was obvious that maybe it was time to move on... (Side note: it was a choice that this NPC was a jerk. It was also a choice for John that his PC be a jerk and insegate him. Hehehe)

I dont want to go too much farther into the encounter as I dont want to potentially spoil a few things that John and Amanda haven't figured out yet. What I will say is that I mis-read some of the rules and the combat was too easy! I'd been so concerned that I would kill them if only two people were playing and they totally plowed through most of the combat. By the end I was adding extra guys so they weren't yawning. I was a little disappointed in the puzzle I'd made, because instead of solving it they just tried every combination until it was completed. Next time I'll be sure to provide some negative consiquences (hee hee).

It may be awile before Gnell is able to join us again so John has asked me to run a different campaign with the local peeps. That's what I'm starting to brainstorm now.

More to come...

Do you have suggestions on how you DM that you think would help?! Take a page out of Ben's book and send them to me. I'll post them up for all to enjoy! (This means you Adam & Eric)

1 comment:

  1. We didn't just try every solution. I choose the right onw right away. My logic was just different, but I thought I had solved the puzzle!

    ReplyDelete