Friday, September 18, 2009

Simple Folk (Spoiler)

After writing my blog post last night I started looking through the setting maps in the 4.0 DMG and reading through the descriptions. I'm already familiar with some of the areas from the campaigns that JJMIV has been running, so I wanted to working in an area that we haven't already been playing in his world.

As I browsed the book I came upon the humble fishing village of Nenlast. It's nestled in the northeast corner of the map, a few days from Hammerfast.

Text fromthe DMG:

This tiny human village lies at the east end of Lake Nen. The folk here make a meager living by trading smoked fish to the dwarfs of Hammerfast. They also deal with the Tigerclaw barbarians of the Winderbole Forest. When the wild fold choose to trade, they come to Nenlast to barter their pelts and amber for good dwarven metalwork.

I feel a little lame. I wanted to build a great campaign with crazy monsters that made my PCs go "WHAT!?"; but alas, I've disappointed myself. I've written a straight-up brigand campaign.

From my notes last night, here's my concept:

The simple people of Nenlast have recently fallen to despair; the Tigerclaw barbarians have been praying on their simple lives, but who can help them? The local militia are simple fishermen and can do little to stop the wild woodsmen.


While there are a few surprises on the way, our adventurers will mostly be taking on the bad boys in the woods. I'm fleshing out the details of the role playing and encounters, and then it's go time! Still have to work out the treasure.

One thing that drove me crazy was the Monster Creator from Wizards of the Coast. "Why?" You ask. Well, I put together all my baddies and though I had everything ready to print... only to realize that it wouldn't print out neat little cards like the Character Creator does for your PC! Why not!? AND - if you've put something in your "clip board" you can't pull it back up to print it. Lame. Meh, it's beta.

Time to get my peeps to roll up characters. Here we go!

-D Mc C

No comments:

Post a Comment