Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Write Write, Bloody Well Right

When presented with endless free time I'm a fan of quickly filling it with projects and I wouldn't be exaggerating to say that I often over-extend myself. This fall seems to have become no exception.

I currently do not have a full-time "job". I quote it because I'm not currently getting paid or what I've been up to; but I might some day (I hope). I've applied for a few, but nothing seems to be biting. In all honesty I'm not looking all that hard. So what have I been up to?

First: Auditions! Every week I'm running around the city popping in and out of overly-bright rooms and blurting out a few pages just to run to the next one. Even one audition that takes five minutes easily becomes an all day affair. I get up early to work the sides and set my curly hair just right and then ride in on the subway for an hour or more, have my five minutes of glory, and then ride back.

The result of these efforts are 2 commercials I hope to come out in the next week. They're hilarious and I can't wait to post them.

But beyond the acting and the occasional make-out session with my guitar (admit it, you thought that would end in TMI), I've been writing. Like there's no tomorrow. Songs. Blog posts. But most importantly: novels.

As a kid I loved the idea of writing a novel, and even planned how I would do it someday, but couldn't "find the time" to actually write it (even as a kid, I overstretched myself). So in the first week of October I got the brilliant idea that I should start working on one. And I did. And I'm really proud of how it's turning out. So proud that I've decided to self-publish it.

Here's the catch. I know I can use Lulu and I know what I want to do, but how to launch it all? And then I found Kickstarter. Kickstarter helps artists/creators/collaborators launch their visions by asking for backers. They choose an amount and a timeframe and shoot for it. As I believe in doing scary/crazy/exciting things, I launched my project this past Sunday. YOU SHOULD FUND IT!! You get cool stuff in return for funding and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. (A side note: if you pledge now you're not charged until Jan 5 when it ends, so don't worry about waiting for pay-day)

As if that wasn't enough, I've decided to try my hand at NaNoWriMo ~ National Novel Writing Month ~ and do another novel for that. Oh, and we got a director for the webseries I wrote, Seeker. I'm collaborating with Sarah Croce and we're bringing in Mark Kochanowicz to direct. (We'll probably use Kickstarter to raise the money for that project too.) More on Seeker in the next few months. It's going to be huge!

No comments:

Post a Comment